|1st Sunday||9:30 AM||BCP Holy Communion|
|2nd Sunday||9:30 AM||All Together-All Age or Morning Prayer|
|3rd Sunday||9:30 AM||CW Holy Communion|
|4th Sunday||9:30 AM||at Little Saxham|
Sir Nikolaus Pevsner described St Andrew’s as ‘one of the prettiest churches in the county, both in itself and in its setting’. The nave of Great Saxham is Norman in origin. The chancel dates from the thirteenth century, while the south porch and tower are fifteenth-century. By the late eighteenth century the Church was in a poor condition, so in 1798 Thomas Mills, patron of the living and lord of the manor, paid for it to be repaired.
Inside, above the north door, are the arms of Queen Anne of 1702 and above the south door, a funeral hatchment of the Mills family. The most important monument in the Church is that of John Eldred who died in 1632. He was a fabulously wealthy Tudor merchant, the first to import nutmeg into England.
The church has important sixteenth- and seventeenth-century glass in its east and west windows, brought back from former French and Swiss monasteries by William Mills in 1815 and installed by his father. There are three bells hanging in the tower, two of 1787 made by T. Osborn and one by Thomas Mears of London, founder, 1836. (D.S. and D.S.)
Churchwarden: Fiona; 01284 810 081; email@example.com