St Giles, Risby


St Giles has an exceptional history.  At the time of Domesday Book Risby had a church with 24 acres of land.  The round tower and nave were built in the late-Saxon period.  The tower holds three bells, two of them medieval.  There are medieval paintings on the north wall of the Saxon/Norman nave, the earliest dating from 1200-25.  The font is 15th century with fine carvings on the panels of the bowl, which only survived the Reformation because they were plastered over.  The beautiful rood screen in one of the narrowest and most intricately carved 15th century screens in East Anglia.  The detail of the carving is outstanding and thanks to a grant from the Pilgrim Trust the screen and flanking niches were repainted in 1966.  The communion altar table (1860) and the reredos (1862) were made by the Alderson family and H.G.Hoare.  Revd Samuel Hurry Alderson, rector 1839-1862, was responsible for much of the Victorian restoration. (Information from Clive Paine’s Church Guide)

Churchwardens:  Diana and Bernard – 01284 810 590